It is not surprising that in a time when our outer appearance is becoming more imperative to our inner prosperity that the significance for cosmetic treatment and plastic surgery has increased. Cosmetic surgeries or treatments are booming worldwide and have advanced tremendously over the past three decades. Cosmetic treatments are done to remove imperfections from the body with the help of a laser, IPL machine, fillers and injectables by altering the skin to help you look better.
Trends in cosmetic treatments may vary globally which mainly depend on ethnic preferences, but the fundamentals of health and beauty are universal. The influence of new technologies and procedures, along with social and cultural influences has led to particular trends emerging. According to International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), here are the best cosmetic treatments around the world.
- Asian blepharoplasty or double eyelid surgery is the most popular cosmetic procedure in South Korea. South Korea is the largest centre for cosmetic surgery in the whole world. According to ISAPS research, 20% of women aged 19 to 49 have experienced some sort of cosmetic treatment and 1 in every 77 have had work done on some part of their face or body. Another very common and most frequently performed cosmetic treatments, apart from eyelid surgeries are rhinoplasty (nose jobs), jawline restructuring, forehead augmentation, chin augmentation, facelift, liposuction and hair transplant. The popularity of cosmetic treatments in this part of the world is due to relatively quick and inexpensive treatment process.
- Greece is the second largest country in the world in terms of cosmetic procedures. It is a popular hub due to advanced technology offered at low cost. The most common procedure performed here is breast augmentation requested mostly by the Grecians and then the global population. Another most popular cosmetic procedure is penis enlargement and its frequency is approximately 10 times the average frequency in other countries.
- Brazil, a country of beaches, samba and carnival is the birthplace of Brazilian butt lift, also known as BBL. It is a cosmetic procedure that is done to enhance the size and shape of the buttocks. The government of Brazil supports elective cosmetic treatments and the people do not have to pay tax for the procedures. This initiative by the government has augmented the medical tourism in the country. Apart from the butt obsession, other popular cosmetic procedures are liposuction, breast augmentation, tummy tuck, rhinoplasty (nose job) and eyelid surgery. The cosmetic procedures are so common in Brazil that they have become a status symbol for the people there.
- Colombia is among the most preferred medical tourism centres of the world. The most common procedures here are liposuction and breast implants.
- When talking about cosmetic procedures, Iran is not far behind. Rhinoplasty, liposuction and eyebrow pigmentation, where permanent tattoos are used to block in brows are the most sought out procedures. In a more conservative country where women dress modestly, highlighting facial features is the only way to enhance beauty. A member of Iranian Association of Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeons, Javed Amirizad said that out of 40,000 annual cosmetic treatments in Iran, more than 60% are nose jobs.
- Taiwan is most popular for cosmetic procedures done on the face. The facial procedures done there include removal of wrinkles, deep circles around the eyes and cheek upliftment. In terms of cosmetic procedures, Taiwan is better than most of the countries of Asia because the doctors and surgeons have trained overseas and are very much efficient. Also, the services offered are relatively inexpensive.
People seeking cosmetic procedures need to take note of risks and make sure that the procedure they want to undergo is regulated in that country.